California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
The Civil Engineering Department in the College of Engineering at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for one tenure-track position in Civil Engineering, preferably in the area of Structural Engineering, at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2014.
The PositionResponsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, advising students, conducting research, and providing services to the department, college and university. Candidates must be able to effectively teach theory and practice, as well as to develop innovative laboratory and project experiences. The successful candidate will develop research projects that complement their teaching and involve both undergraduate and graduate students. Being licensed as a Professional Engineer in the United States will be required before tenure can be granted. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Requirements• Ph.D. in Civil Engineering or related area by August 31, 2014
• Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching
• A minimum of one (1) year of professional engineering work experience
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse students and community populations
Preferred/Desired Qualifications• Teaching experience at the undergraduate or graduate level
• Demonstrated ability to develop lecture and laboratory curriculum
• Demonstrated ability to develop research projects
• Experience with contracts and grants for applied research projects
• Demonstrated ability to establish industrial collaborations
• Demonstrated ability to be responsive to the educational equity goals of the university and its increasing ethnic diversity and international character
• Structural Engineering specialization preferred
• Licensed as a Civil Engineer in California
Application ProcedureA completed application will consist of:
• A cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests, and addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
• A statement of teaching philosophy;
• A curriculum vitae comprised of elements specified on the application form, including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
• A completed application form is available at http://academic.csupomona.edu/faculty/docs/application.pdf
• A transcript showing the highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists); and
• Three recent letters of reference (required for finalists).
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received by November 1, 2013. Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests, and application materials to:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Dr. Francelina Neto
Civil Engineering Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.2488 FAX: 909.869.4342
About the UniversityCal Poly Pomona is one of two polytechnic universities in the 23-campus California State University system. Our ethnically diverse student population of approximately 21,000 enrolls in 60 baccalaureate, 26 master’s degree programs and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,000 faculty. We recruit students increasingly from throughout California and beyond. The students are success and career focused and extremely diverse. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W. K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in one of the most dynamic economic and cultural regions in the country, and within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
Equal Opportunity EmployerCalifornia State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://dsa.csupomona.edu/police/securityreport.asp . The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html